Friday, April 2, 2010

Ultimate, not Frisbee

I was a bit hesitant about trying it at first since I have never played in an organized game before, but decided to go for it. I played in my first ultimate game last night and had a really good time other than the fact that it was freezing outside and I was ill prepared (need to get some more athletic pants). Paul plays on another c0-ed team, but you know what, the league is supposed to be for beginners and I think I should report him :) He was playing on another field, so it was me and my new friends on Field 2 last night at Golden Gate Park. We had about 4 girls and 5 guys, which was good because you need 7 to play and that allowed me to sit out at first so I could learn some of the lingo from one of my teammates. He was very quick to correct me about calling the game Frisbee. Evidently, like Kleenex, Frisbee is a brand name for the disc and is often incorrectly used to refer to the game of Ultimate. I am to call the game Ultimate from now on, not Frisbee or Ultimate Frisbee, if I want to be respected. Another take away from the evening was that I need to sprint more to build up my cardio (elliptical machine is just not going to cut it anymore). My team lauded me for doing well in my first game (really just ran around, not a lot of disc action) and for being a relatively fast runner, but man, was I hurting on the inside! My teammates are super nice and welcoming, so I look forward to playing more and getting better! Paul said he would help me, pray for his patience as I try to learn to throw different ways. . .

1 comment:

  1. This is a great piece of advice! I've always called it Frisbee!

    ReplyDelete